I'm back in Auckland, my hometown, for the annual Writers & Readers Festival. I always really enjoy this festival, though I spend much of it in a blind panic racing between events, figuring out where I'm supposed to be, and cramming in last-minute prep for the sessions I'm chairing.
This year is my fifth (maybe?) and I think I'm breaking my own record for over-commitment. My full schedule is posted on my web site.
I'm in Auckland for a few weeks doing various writing-related things, and I can make the following five predictions:
1. It will rain almost every day.
2. My friends will wait until the last week I'm here to sort out social events, and complain that I'm leaving too soon.
3. My brother, my niece and I will go to Luxury Karaoke on Queen Street and 'sing' things like 'In Da Club' and 'Hot N Cold' and 'Single Ladies.'
4. People in other time zones will email me and get impatient when I don't reply right away.
5. A lot of biscuits will be eaten.
As you can see, it's a cultural visit.